Battle UI for subs misrepresented?!

OldSchoolGaming_Youtube

Just curious, been watching a lot of U-4501 videos lately since I will pick up that sub with my december coupon. One of the Subs "Gimmicks" is that its ping will render a bit random over a larger area then the most other subs, but looking at U-4501 videos it seems like the Ping marker for the sub players show exactly above the subs position every time.

This gets me thinking, especially considering WGs spaghetti coding in the past, do the ping marker show differently for the sub player and the enemy team?! I think we all seen the videos in the past (for instance Flamus) that show that the Ping marker on other regular subs pop up quite random over a large area to where the stationary sub is positioned (during testing). Which means trying to use ping markers for regular subs to aim you airplanes ASWs is like finding a fart in space. 

So it would be strange that the maker shoe up exactly on the sub position for a sub whos gimmick is that the maker will be very random over a big area?!

Thoughts? 

6 minutes ago, OldSchoolGaming_Youtube said:

Just curious, been watching a lot of U-4501 videos lately since I will pick up that sub with my december coupon. One of the Subs "Gimmicks" is that its ping will render a bit random over a larger area then the most other subs, but looking at U-4501 videos it seems like the Ping marker for the sub players show exactly above the subs position every time.

This gets me thinking, especially considering WGs spaghetti coding in the past, do the ping marker show differently for the sub player and the enemy team?! I think we all seen the videos in the past (for instance Flamus) that show that the Ping marker on other regular subs pop up quite random over a large area to where the stationary sub is positioned (during testing). Which means trying to use ping markers for regular subs to aim you airplanes ASWs is like finding a fart in space. 

So it would be strange that the maker shoe up exactly on the sub position for a sub whos gimmick is that the maker will be very random over a big area?!

Thoughts? 

I participated in a topic about where a ping appears, in relation to the submarine's actual position, in the old forums.
I thought it would be anywhere within a certain radius of the submarine.
But, @Ahskance clarified that the ping is supposed to appear "somehwere" at a random distance, but in-line with the ping's path of travel.

So... illustrating with text is cumbersome, but I'm unable to upload more graphics .... 

[Submarine] launches a ping and the ping will appear somewhere along the line of the ping's travel.

..................[Submarine]*ping*---------(Ping Appearance)-----------------------------------------------[Target]
Or
-----------(Ping Appearance)-------[Submarine]*ping*-------------------------------------------------[Target]
Or some variation, thereof.
There is still a 1 km limit for how far away the submarine ping can appear in relation to the submarine's actual position.

Wiki entry:
https://wiki.wargaming.net/en/Ship:Anti-Submarine_Warfare_(ASW)

Ping Launch Emission

When a submarine uses its sonar, a visual effect appears within a 1 km radius of her, lasting five seconds. In addition to this visual effect, the actual sonar ping moving across the map is visible to ships within 8 km. In combination with the ping launch effect, it allows surface ships to get a general idea of the location of the submarine. It is generally not as accurate as fuel spills, as the ping launch effect is only accurate within 1 km. In addition, the moving sonar ping is not visible outside of 8 km. Finally, each ship sees only sonar pings within her acquisition radius (i.e a ship cannot see the sonar pings launched against an ally on the other side of the map).

Hope that helps.  🙂 

Thanks for the information but it doesn't really answer my question.

The CC and Flamu testing I watched upon sub release the ping seems to appear anywhere in an estimated 1 km-ish radius around the sub, just like you say, even tho you have to see multiple pings to actually know where the sub is heading since the ping just show where he was some 10 seconds ago.

But my question is if the UI is misrepresented when the Sub-players that is pinging see his own pings, because as far as I can see in the videos of the U-4501 it seems it doesn't appear 1 km radius away but almost right on top of that sub, which is a bit strange if the subs gimmick is supposed to have an even larger area for the ping, which just makes it even more laughable since this sub makes about 40 knots speed under water, so good luck hitting it.

So, my guess is it shows differently for the sub player and the red team.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, OldSchoolGaming_Youtube said:

Thanks for the information but it doesn't really answer my question.

The CC and Flamu testing I watched upon sub release the ping seems to appear anywhere in an estimated 1 km-ish radius around the sub, just like you say, even tho you have to see multiple pings to actually know where the sub is heading since the ping just show where he was some 10 seconds ago.

But my question is if the UI is misrepresented when the Sub-players that is pinging see his own pings, because as far as I can see in the videos of the U-4501 it seems it doesn't appear 1 km radius away but almost right on top of that sub, which is a bit strange if the subs gimmick is supposed to have an even larger area for the ping, which just makes it even more laughable since this sub makes about 40 knots speed under water, so good luck hitting it.

So, my guess is it shows differently for the sub player and the red team.

While playing my own Submarine, I rarely, if ever, observe where my own "ping ring" appears on the surface of the water.
Granted, I'm often too busy to spare some time to look for it.

Another thought occurs to me.  The replay may not be doing a good job of randomizing where the ping appears?  But, that's merely hypothesis & speculation.

Good Submarine play involves not remaining in the position of where one sent a "ping" from, anyway.
"One ping only" is so that one's movment can't be tracked by other players who are observing the pings.

12 minutes ago, Wolfswetpaws said:

While playing my own Submarine, I rarely, if ever, observe where my own "ping ring" appears on the surface of the water.
Granted, I'm often too busy to spare some time to look for it.

Another thought occurs to me.  The replay may not be doing a good job of randomizing where the ping appears?  But, that's merely hypothesis & speculation.

Good Submarine play involves not remaining in the position of where one sent a "ping" from, anyway.
"One ping only" is so that one's movment can't be tracked by other players who are observing the pings.

Playing a lot of U-2501 I actually are most on the surface at all times, partly due to trying to catch the enemy sub over extending with my radar but also due to great conceal so I almost never use my battery. But then I can always see my ping very near my sub but I always thought that was the deal with "normal" subs, so thats why I got confused when I saw almost worst ping distance on a sub that is supposed to have much greater.

• Like 1