Devstrike - what is our logo?

Guest Anonymous

Fellow forumites, Some may have wondered, nay, one did indeed venture into utterances, about the uncanny suitability of our site logo.

Well, the logo came about out of necessity. I needed something to represent our future logo, so I copied my name avatar thingy (ahh, now you see the similarity, right?) stuck some default background texture into it from MS Powerpoint, smashed Devstrike! all over it, and that work of art as we know it was born.

Here it is, in all its glory: it even has latin text on it. Can you make it out?

image.thumb.png.18f37e7d2a534b9286b4038ffbc335be.png

Yeah, I suck at artwork.

Well that's all cool, cos we have you guys. So fellas, gals, et al., what should be our site logo? Or should we... keep.. that?   Suggest away!

I like the one that Frostbow had in this thread!

Maybe something similar or this one would make a nice header banner.

1 minute ago, yss_turtleship said:

I like the one that Frostbow had in this thread!

Uhm... source? Copyright issues remember.

Just now, Admiral_Karasu said:

Uhm... source? Copyright issues remember.

Yes, of course. 

The current logo is not bad per se, but... if it were to have something to do with a devstrike then the kisbee ring depicted is probably something that is needed after the devstrike occurs... right? Then there's the other point that practically anything that has something to do with World of Warships.. has some kind of an anchor on its logo.

4 minutes ago, Admiral_Karasu said:

The current logo is not bad per se, but... if it were to have something to do with a devstrike then the kisbee ring depicted is probably something that is needed after the devstrike occurs... right? Then there's the other point that practically anything that has something to do with World of Warships.. has some kind of an anchor on its logo.

TIL that the life saving buoy has a proper name - The Kisbee Ring. Thanks!

• Thanks 1

12 minutes ago, yss_turtleship said:

TIL that the life saving buoy has a proper name - The Kisbee Ring. Thanks!

It actually has lots of names, the kisbee ring is the oldest and likely the original one. In Wikipedia the article is under 'lifebuyo'. I don't know if that's what it's commonly called though, because it's clearly more of a ring in my opinion than a buyo.

46 minutes ago, Admiral_Karasu said:

Then there's the other point that practically anything that has something to do with World of Warships.. has some kind of an anchor on its logo.

WoWs uses several designs of the anchor in their logos.

45 minutes ago, Admiral_Karasu said:

The current logo is not bad per se, but.

hehe. Someone likes it. Nah, my though was: devstrike of the old forums, the ring floats to the surface, and the text reads "arisen from the depths" sorta like us getting back up again. Yeah, I know, but that night back then, the idea was stellar! 😉

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, I_cant_Swim_ said:

hehe. Someone likes it. Nah, my though was: devstrike of the old forums, the ring floats to the surface, and the text reads "arisen from the depths" sorta like us getting back up again. Yeah, I know, but that night back then, the idea was stellar! 😉

• Like 2

I like the logo because it is distinctive and dynamic.  Just be sure to save the logo in a scalable vector graphics file format so I can get some shirts made up.

Perhaps, with a few more members, we should have a logo contest, but I'll put that suggestion before the board.

4 minutes ago, I_cant_Swim_ said:

Perhaps, with a few more members, we should have a logo contest, but I'll put that suggestion before the board.

That's a great idea!

14 minutes ago, I_cant_Swim_ said:

I like it, the message behind it, and the inscription. I think it's the colors that aren't working for me. 

1 minute ago, yss_turtleship said:

I like it, the message behind it, and the inscription. I think it's the colors that aren't working for me. 

Well, folks! Its his fault now. I shall tidy up my logo with technicolor and enter the contest with it!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, I_cant_Swim_ said:

I like the current logo.

• Thanks 1

When I copy/pasted the forum logo to my Microsoft Paint program.  I got the logo on a field of black.
I added the translation of the latin, below it, so that people can more easily read and understand.
I'm sharing this here merely for information & reference purposes.
image_2023-08-16_192405925.thumb.png.2aa7bc112b1780a448fafe7819f0f9ae.png

Here's the website I used for translation.  https://translate.yandex.com/

Edited by Wolfswetpaws
  • Thanks 1

49 minutes ago, I_cant_Swim_ said:

@Wolfswetpaws could be. I just checked agsin with this one https://www.latin-is-simple.com/en/vocabulary/phrase/1868/ and it gave me raised from the waves. Which was what i had in mind when i wrote it onto the ring. 

Which is why I cited the website I used for translation.  So that comparisons and corrections could be pointed out. 
Thank you for sharing your original sentiment.  🙂

Edited to add.  It's clear to me that the two different websites translate very differently.
image_2023-08-16_204252849.thumb.png.eafdd4f95a58fd8e77efbbcbdd97babe.png

Edited by Wolfswetpaws

4 hours ago, Wolfswetpaws said:

Which is why I cited the website I used for translation

I have the sinking sensation my source may not be very accurate. So it’s good you brought that up. I’d rather know the truth in it. So….

(clears throat)… is anyone here from latin America, or from Rome, even? 😉 

seriously, though, if anyone knows latin, do take a dip here. Personally I’d like risen from the waves on the ring, unless its now a full paragraph.

7 hours ago, I_cant_Swim_ said:

I have the sinking sensation my source may not be very accurate. So it’s good you brought that up. I’d rather know the truth in it. So….

(clears throat)… is anyone here from latin America, or from Rome, even? 😉 

seriously, though, if anyone knows latin, do take a dip here. Personally I’d like risen from the waves on the ring, unless its now a full paragraph.

Far from that, and I'm not a latinist. I checked what the words might mean, and reasoned it would be something like 'high on the waves' or something. As for the meaning you mentioned, there is a motto of the King Edward VII and Queen Mary school which is 'Sublimis Ab Unda', and the meaning aparently is not 'high on the waves' but more properly 'Raised from the waves' there.

See for reference:

(You may notice with slight awkwardness that the phrase is 'Sublimis Ab Unda' and not 'ad unda'.

https://www.latin-is-simple.com/en/vocabulary/phrase/1868/

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/King_Edward_VII_and_Queen_Mary_School

That’s more or less as i remember it. I could of course write that out in English, but the latin has a little more poignancy. Official-like. Lol

13 minutes ago, I_cant_Swim_ said:

That’s more or less as i remember it. I could of course write that out in English, but the latin has a little more poignancy. Official-like. Lol

Do check the spelling though.

Oh, and.... just noticed that the 'ad unda' (ab unda) in the logo is upside down. I'm not a graphic artists, but there's two ways of looking at this, no pun intended, either like it is, or having it so that the logo can be read in the position without having to twist your neck in the process.

I think the „wrong“ spelling is the one the English know. But i suppose you’re right, better 200 years late than never for spell checking 🙂 

1 minute ago, I_cant_Swim_ said:

I think the „wrong“ spelling is the one the English know. But i suppose you’re right, better 200 years late than never for spell checking 🙂 

Google it and check in as many places as you can, because the net tells me that the latin 'ad' means toward or in(to) or something which makes the meaning a little... awkward.